1. Are you involved with 3D printing at all? Is it in any way a factor in your commercial printing business? I like this HBR post (that’s Harvard Business Review) very much – How 3D Printing is Changing the Way We Think – and wonder if you all agree.
2. Back in January 2014, I wrote in this space about a new quarterly magazine called Modern Farmer, coming out of Hudson NY. Well, earlier this month the NYT reported the publication had run into problems. The article says that back in December, the founder Ann Marie Gardner had “left amid financial concerns and conflicts” with the magazine’s financier. The spring 2015 issue was cancelled. But Frank Giustra, the financier, found a new editor (Sarah Gray Miller) with quite the pedigree in magazines. There’s a new staff – and just like that, the magazine is back on track.
3. Junk mail works. People respond emotionally to junk mail – more so than to email. Here’s a terrific article I read recently, complete with impressive stats on the effectiveness of direct mail. Share it liberally!
4. Yet another positive piece about the value of catalogs, particularly for retailers. It says that consumers who receive catalogs spend $850 a year on catalog purchases. And these publications are now considered “lifestyle publications,” don’t you know. I love good catalogs. (Just received the latest from J. Crew, and it’s the great copy as much as the fashion that I admire. Found an in-depth Forbes piece about its executive creative director and president, Jenna Lyons. In it they mention how she overhauled the catalog, which is “at the root of J. Crew’s business.”) I’ve covered the topic of catalogs before, highlighting Patagonia’s gorgeous publication, among others.
5. Finally, a woman at the helm! Printing Industry of the Carolinas has named Trish Sports, GM of Sheriar Press, as its new chairwoman. It’s the first time a woman’s leading the group in its 84-year history. Way to go, PICA!
© 2015 Margie Dana